If you hear a loud boom coming from your tire while driving, you may have experienced a blowout. A tire blowout will immediately cause your car to begin to slow down as well as pull to the left or right, according to Sun Devil Auto. This can cause your vehicle to lose control, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If you experience a blowout, the following steps from Defensivedriving.com can help you keep control of your vehicle:
1. First, stay calm.
2. Don't step on the brake. This will cause your wheels to lock up and will lead to a total loss of control.
3. Accelerate slightly and steer as straight as possible.
4. Begin to slow down by gently removing your foot from the accelerator.
5. Turn on your emergency lights.
6. Steer towards the right-hand lane and pull over when it's safe.
7. Change the tire If you know how to and have room to do so safely.
Call Litty Rescue if you have any doubts. 1-800-796-9958